Photo

Beach Colony Resort in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - A VacationMyrtleBeach.com property : Review By Joey O'Connor

Joey OConnor - editor

Gold

• Editor
  • 20 posts
JobsInMyrtleBeach.com - will open new window

Check Myrtle Beach Weather
Current / 5 Day Forecast
VIEW MAP / RADAR

OnTheGrandStrand.com - Home

A few weeks ago I stayed two nights and three days at Beach Colony Resort in Myrtle Beach. It was sort-of on a whim. I wanted to stay in a different place than I usually would and I wanted to have the experience of actually calling the VacationMyrtleBeach.com reservation line to see what regular "vacationers" would go through. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the process was. I was greeted and helped by Dawn. She was great! She helped me probably more than she should have and made small-talk when she had time waiting for her computer. I actually think she spent more time on the phone with me than she probably should have but since my "regular" place of stay was fully booked, she wanted to make sure that I had the correct room for my budget and the location where I wanted to stay. I also told Dawn that I had checked on prices of Hotel rooms around the area that weren't even on the beach and what their prices were. She asked "if I could come close to their prices would you like to stay on the beach? It might be an 'ocean view' room but I think I can work it out." Well sure I told her, why pay the same price a few miles away from the ocean when for about the same price I can stay on the ocean. So, she chose Beach Colony Resort for me.

Beach Colony Resort is located at 5308 N. Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 which is in an area of Myrtle Beach commonly referred to as the "Golden Mile." Many people have their own definition for what this area is but for me after staying there its an area mainly of houses except for about 5 or 6 resorts. Walk on the beach past these resorts in either direction and all you will see is houses. No other high-rises, no amusement parks, no hustle and bustle. Basically when you stay at Beach Colony you probably would just stay in or around the resort for your entire stay. Beach Colony has 2 restaurants - one seemed to have only been open for breakfast and the other is a lunch/dinner/bar place. Beach Colony also has swimming pools (indoor and outdoor), hot tubs (indoor and outdoor), and an outdoor lazy river. I think they even have an indoor raquet ball court. Seems like a great place for a family to stay. In fact, I would dare say that most everyone I saw on my trip staying at Beach Colony was a family.

I never want to seem harsh in any of my reviews but I want to make sure I always get across my experience with a service or product. Beach Colony Resort takes a little getting used to if you are not accustomed to the High-Rise vacationing. Parking at the resort is tricky as you have to use a small and narrow 5 story parking deck where there is only room for 1 car at a time to make the turns going up or down the levels so you might have to wait and even back-up a time or two to let "exiting" cars pass as they have the right-of-way. You will also have to take care in watching out for pedestrians as you will have to walk and carry your luggage on the same paths as the cars - yes even going around the curves. There are walkways to the resort on levels 3, 4 and 5 (if my memory serves me correctly) so you can get to your room on any of the 22 floors from the main elevators. Some floors are only available from certain elevators so make sure to remember which color elevators to use. I had to use the white elevators. And, getting ice and/or drinks is a little tricky too - only available on like the 1st, 5th, 10th and 15th floors so you will most likely have to take the elevators and take some time. It took me 12 minutes one night to get ice. The other night I actually decided to just walk it down and then back up. I stayed on the 19th floor so I had to go down to the 15th floor and then back up. I thought I could walk down 5 flights and then take the elevator back up but nope.. for whatever reason the white elevators only work on certain floors.

I thought I knew it all... When you call for a reservation on any high-rise resort or hotel on the beach, make sure you double check and ask them if the room has a balcony. Mine did not. I was very surprised by this. I'm not too sure if I can tell you that I have ever stayed at a place on the beach that didn't have a balcony - well except for this time - a first time for everything I suppose! When I made the reservation I remember thinking heck, for $40 dollars more a night than the hotel, I can come home, have a drink out on the balcony, smell the ocean air and watch the waves. Well I could watch the waves (from the over-size ceiling to floor windows in my room) but not smell the ocean air. Now I don't know this for sure, so please check with Beach Colony, but maybe all of their 'ocean view' rooms do not have balconies. Anyway, point is, if you want a balcony, double check to make sure when you are making your reservation.

On a more positive note, the staff was very friendly, the food, drinks, and service was great, and the room I stayed in was nice and clean. I would recommend Beach Colony Resort as a place for a family with children to stay. For more information on Beach Colony please visit their website at http://www.BeachColony.com

About Joey O'Connor:
Joey O'Connor is an author, writer, and the current editor of OnTheGrandStrand.com. He is also the founder and publisher of many online publications as well as the owner of over 50 websites and networks. After 46 years of living in Greensboro, North Carolina (where he was born and raised) Joey is currently residing in Murrells Inlet, SC. Complete information on Joey can be found by visiting his website at http://www.JoeyOConnor.com

Joey O'Connor, editor

OnTheGrandStrand.com

Visit My Profile

Share This News/Post »

Custom Search

On The Grand Strand Coverage Area
Little River, Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive Beach, Crescent Beach, Atlantic Beach, Windy Hill, Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach
Garden City Beach, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield Beach, Pawleys Island, Georgetown, Conway, Aynor, Loris, Longs,
Plus A Little More... Calabash, Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle, Shallotte, Holden Beach, Oak Island

OnTheGrandStrand.com

Copyright © 2013 - On The Grand Strand OnTheGrandStrand.com, its partners and licensors. All Rights Reserved.
Home | Contact Us | Help/FAQs | Advertise With Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | ADD YOUR EVENT | ADD YOUR COMPANY | Find Us On » Facebook Like Us - will open new window Twitter Follow Us - will open new window Google+ Follow Us - will open new window LinkedIn Follow Us - will open new window YouTube Follow Us - will open new window

Please Visit Our Sibling & Partner Websites!

A Joey OConnor Enterprises DEVELOPMENT

Carolina Coastal Media

Scan For OnTheGrandStrand's New Mobile Site!
Fully Automatic iPhone App!
    We Suggest That You   
    Firefox Download Button   
    Use Firefox! It's Faster!