• Editor
  • 20 posts
JobsInMyrtleBeach.com - will open new window

Check Myrtle Beach Weather
Current / 5 Day Forecast
VIEW MAP / RADAR

OnTheGrandStrand.com - Home

med_gallery_3_6_1038973.jpg

After Church a few Sunday's ago, we decided to go to Garden City Pancake House for lunch. Well, actually we hadn't had breakfast that morning and were in the mood for typical breakfast food (pancakes, omelets, coffee, etc.) but since it was a little after 12 noon, I guess we should call it brunch. Ok, so for brunch we went to Garden City Pancake House.

I'm sort-of a connoisseur of mushroom and cheese omelets. I am also a connoisseur of hash browns (or the like of potato cakes, home fries, etc). So, we got an order of that.. a 3 egg mushroom and cheddar omelet with toast, jelly, and a side of home fries. The restaurant just started a promotion of their new "pumpkin" pancakes for the fall season so we got an order of those with a few over-medium eggs and bacon.

Sounds kinda basic stuff right.. well you would be surprised at how some restaurants can butcher an omelet, and pancakes for that matter. Omelets sometimes can come out over-cooked and dry or under-cooked and runny... ever had a runny omelet? Yuck... and anyway, as far as the mushrooms, well we like to see if restaurants use raw or canned. For the pancakes.. we like to see if they beat the batter too much (too long) pancakes. How can you tell? If they are tough and chewy then chances are they over-beat. If they come out light and fluffy.. well then they didn't! Lol.. Who wants to eat a tough and chewy pancake? Not me!

Those of you that have read a few of my others reviews know that I never like to "bash" an establishment. I try to be fair in my reviews but I also like to tell it how it is. Well, for Garden City Pancake House, their food was ok. More of what I probably would expect from a fast food restaurant but not from a place that has been in business for over 25 years and somewhat of a "Garden City" staple. I consider myself a cook, not a chef, but a cook. I like to cook and know my way around a kitchen. The mushrooms in the omelet were canned (not such a terrible thing though) and were NOT hot and the cheese was not even melted - I guess that means it was NOT hot either.  The home fries, well they were ok. Medium sized chunks of potatoes seasoned with spices that I just couldn't put my hand on.  Anyway, the pumpkin pancakes were actually pretty good! 3 large almost plate sized - sprinkled with a little powdered sugar and cinnamon on top. Eggs were ok. Bacon was ok. Toast was ok. Total bill was around $21.00

med_gallery_3_6_1183843.jpg

Our waitress was really nice! She made some small talk when she was able and she checked on us a few times. You know, just enough to see if you needed something but not too many time to be annoying. Even another waitress just walking by smiled and said hello to us.

So, next time you are in Garden City, South Carolina, stop in to eat at Garden City Pancake House and try it out for yourself! Maybe the omelet cook was just off the day we went. I mean again, a restaurant that has been in the same area for over 25 years can't be doing a lot wrong - or else they would have folded and gone under many years back!

About Joey O'Connor:
Joey O'Connor is an author, writer, and the current editor of OnTheGrandStrand.com. He is also the founder and publisher of many online publications as well as the owner of over 50 websites and networks. After 46 years of living in Greensboro, North Carolina (where he was born and raised) Joey is currently residing in Murrells Inlet, SC. Complete information on Joey can be found by visiting his website at http://www.JoeyOConnor.com

Joey O'Connor, editor

OnTheGrandStrand.com

Visit My Profile

Share This News/Post »

Custom Search

On The Grand Strand Coverage Area
Little River, Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive Beach, Crescent Beach, Atlantic Beach, Windy Hill, Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach
Garden City Beach, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield Beach, Pawleys Island, Georgetown, Conway, Aynor, Loris, Longs,
Plus A Little More... Calabash, Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle, Shallotte, Holden Beach, Oak Island

OnTheGrandStrand.com

Copyright © 2013 - On The Grand Strand OnTheGrandStrand.com, its partners and licensors. All Rights Reserved.
Home | Contact Us | Help/FAQs | Advertise With Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | ADD YOUR EVENT | ADD YOUR COMPANY | Find Us On » Facebook Like Us - will open new window Twitter Follow Us - will open new window Google+ Follow Us - will open new window LinkedIn Follow Us - will open new window YouTube Follow Us - will open new window

Please Visit Our Sibling & Partner Websites!

A Joey OConnor Enterprises DEVELOPMENT

Carolina Coastal Media

Scan For OnTheGrandStrand's New Mobile Site!
Fully Automatic iPhone App!
    We Suggest That You   
    Firefox Download Button   
    Use Firefox! It's Faster!