• 20 posts
JobsInMyrtleBeach.com - will open new window

DirectoryMyrtleBeach.com - will open new window

Check Myrtle Beach Weather
Current / 5 Day Forecast
VIEW MAP / RADAR

OnTheGrandStrand.com - Home

med_gallery_3_30_469468.jpg

Everyone in the area knows about Garden City Grocery! It's been around since the 1950's when it was started by the Caughman family. It has had numerous owners over the years and back in 1989 (when Hurricane Hugo hit the area) one of the Caughman daughters returned to the business with her husband and restored it.

For those of you that maybe have been living under a rock somewhere, or for those of you that have never been to the area but might be coming for a visit this summer, (if you have never vacationed in Garden City Beach you should!), the store is located almost at the intersection of Atlantic Drive and Waccamaw Drive right in the heart of the Garden City / Garden City Beach area (it just depends on who you ask if it is "Garden City" or "Garden City Beach"). It is located only a few step away from the Pier at Garden City and is in the same strip-shopping area with Sam's Corner and the Pavilion Arcade.

Back in early January, I actually knew something was going on with Garden City Grocery. I visited them one day and noticed a sign on the door stating "sorry, credit cards and debit cards no longer accepted." I'm a businessman myself. That's one of the first things you do when you are going thru a change in your company - settle out the credit card merchant processor. But at the time, I went in, didn't ask any questions, purchased a few items and left. I returned a week later and there was another sign on the door. This time it stated something like "Sorry we are closed until Monday but if you should need immediate help or if there is an emergency please call" such and such. Ok, now we know something big is about to happen! So, I returned a few weeks later and found out the real story! A "new" Garden City Grocery! With new owners!

The "new" Garden City Grocery has a ton of stuff - in an actual cleaner store! It's brighter and lighter! (I guess they changed the light bulbs in the place and actually cleaned the windows in the front of the building and the glass doors to the drink coolers as well) They certainly have everything you would need for a great day out on the beach and almost everything you would need for your week-long vacation stay in Garden City! They have a wide variety of groceries - Pepsi and Coca Cola products, Starbucks coolers, Good Humor ice-cream novelties, beer and wine, a fresh deli, candy, gum, mints, all that stuff, and cigarettes, paper towels, household goods, health and beauty items... Oh hell, you get the idea! The point is they got stuff... probably all of what you need.. I think they also have free wifi. They had a sign out front advertising a daily fresh-made sandwich special that includes chips and a drink and I think they also have hot boiled peanuts!

Ok, ok Joey... get on with it... who are the new owners? I hear ya, ok, moving on.. Mike and Holly Hughes (husband and wife) are the new owners. They turned the key on their new venture back on January 12th (2015). I had the chance a few weeks ago to sit down with both of them to get to know them a bit and to see how they have been getting along so far.

A little background on Mike and Holly Hughes. They were both born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. What brings them to the area? Well, they love it! They have lived in Atlanta, GA... Dallas, TX... and Bethlehem, PA... BUT, they have been vacationing in the Myrtle Beach area for 18 years and have owned a home in Surfside Beach for the last 10 of those years! Mike worked 30+ years in the corporate IT industry and after retiring in 2013, thought it was time to think about the next chapter of their lives. Owning a small business was something that appealed to them both, so close to being on a "whim" one night, Mike got on the internet and found that Garden City Grocery was looking for a new owner. They met with a broker, saw the place, knew it was in a great location, and felt it had a lot of potential. A few weeks later they were the new owners! How's that for a story!

I asked Mike what might be their biggest change (for the better) on the "new and improved" Garden City Grocery. His answer, "Our goal is to be a friendly, well-stocked market that keeps locals and visitors coming back. We have a clean, smoke-free store and are proud to serve the Garden City community. If we don't have something you need, we will do our best to get it. We want Garden City Grocery to be a perfect place to shop for all of your food and beverage items, as well as fresh grab-and-go sandwiches and salads, and be back on the beach in minutes!"

"It is our desire to be involved in the community, participate in local events, and support the Garden City Beach area," stated Holly. "We will utilize local businesses as much as we can! For example, we are starting to utilize bakery products from Benjamin's Bakery and want to stock fresh produce and butcher-cut meats from local shops. We try to have a little bit of everything to meet our neighbor's needs and keep them from having to leave Garden City to shop."

So, for those of you that either live in the area or are reading this and are currently on vacation in the area, what are you waiting for! Get up off the couch and head on over to Garden City Grocery to take a look at the new place and meet Mike and Holly! They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet! For those of you coming here over the summer on vacation, no need to pack the car full of stuff.. once you get here, go on by Garden City Grocery and get what you need!

Garden City Grocery's hours are currently 9 am to 6 pm daily with Summer hours of 8 am to 10 pm (or longer). They are located at 119 Atlantic Avenue, Garden City Beach, SC 29576 and their phone number is (843) 299-1216. For more information you may visit their website at http://www.GardenCityGrocery.com

View all of our photos of Garden City Grocery by clicking here.

About Joey O'Connor:
Joey O'Connor is an author, writer, and the current editor of http://www.OnTheGrandStrand.com - He is also the founder and publisher of many online publications (including the 50,000+ pages http://www.GolfClubBusiness.com) as well as the owner of over 50 additional websites and networks. Joey is also a registered musician with BMI and has been a professional in the golf industry for over 20 years. After 46 years of living in Greensboro, North Carolina (where he was born and raised) Joey is currently residing in Murrells Inlet, SC. Complete information on Joey can be found by visiting his website http://www.JoeyOConnor.com

Joey O'Connor, editor

OnTheGrandStrand.com

Visit My Profile

Share This News/Post »

Custom Search

On The Grand Strand Coverage Area
Little River, Cherry Grove, Ocean Drive Beach, Crescent Beach, Atlantic Beach, Windy Hill, Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach
Garden City Beach, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield Beach, Pawleys Island, Georgetown, Conway, Aynor, Loris, Longs,
Plus A Little More... Calabash, Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle, Shallotte, Holden Beach, Oak Island

OnTheGrandStrand.com

Copyright © 2013 - On The Grand Strand OnTheGrandStrand.com, its partners and licensors. All Rights Reserved.
Home | Contact Us | Help/FAQs | Advertise With Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | ADD YOUR EVENT | ADD YOUR COMPANY | Find Us On » Facebook Like Us - will open new window Twitter Follow Us - will open new window Google+ Follow Us - will open new window LinkedIn Follow Us - will open new window YouTube Follow Us - will open new window

Please Visit Our Sibling Sites and Partners:

A Joey OConnor Enterprises DEVELOPMENT

Carolina Coastal Media

Scan For OnTheGrandStrand's New Mobile Site!
Fully Automatic iPhone App!
    We Suggest That You   
    Firefox Download Button   
    Use Firefox! It's Faster!